Supporting local businesses
Electricians, plumbers, sustainable technology companies, and construction and maintenance crews are all hired from the local area. Food products are sourced directly from local suppliers.
Celebrating good workmanship
We believe that it is important to celebrate good workmanship, and via our social media channels, newsletters, and sanctuary signage, regularly advertise the local companies we work with in an effort to encourage guests to also support these companies when undertaking similar work. Notable companies with which we work include Springers Solar and QPS Geothermal.
Knowledge is sharing
Knowledge sharing is an important part of Lone Pine culture, and we achieve this through mutually-beneficial collaborations. For example, in 2017 our horticulture team collaborated with Botanic Gardens, to exchange knowledge about the suitable types of plants to grow throughout the sanctuary. Our team learnt about hardy, drought-resistant plants, and we were able to share our knowledge of our water-saving technologies.
Enhancing the lives of the local community
Through connections with other small, local businesses, we are able to offer a variety of additional experiences to our local community members. Some of these include:
- affordable bi-weekly Yoga sessions at Lone Pine, conducted by local instructor
- bi-monthly free outdoor movie nights for local families
- market and food stall events, offering local farmers, food vans, budding authors and crafters a channel to promote and sell their products to an engaged audience
- Riverside Cafe and Children's Garden play area: a free space for families, mother's groups, aged-care groups, special needs organisations, and business clients to utilise and enjoy
- free Wi-Fi, 'bloggers corners' and charging stations, so guests can stay charged and connected at all times
- Meditation hut and non-denominational prayer room, available for guest use
- community engagement events
Through our wildlife and administration volunteer programs, we are able to provide local community members, students, and even international guests, real-world experience within the tourism industry. We work closely with local universities, and have many veterinary and business students use the volunteer programs to satisfy their work placement requirements, in preparation for graduation.
Each year, Lone Pine supports local schools, kindergartens, scout groups, and sporting clubs, by donating over 150 gift vouchers to be used for fundraising efforts. We also collect donations for organisations that we have partnered with, including Rainforest Rescue, DevilArk, Australian Koala Foundation, and the Bob Irwin Foundation, to name a few.